The key to life is not accumulation. It's contribution. Hands that serve help more than the lips that pray.

Friday, October 20, 2017

SWING Arcus RS size S

Swing Arcus RS size S (75-95)

The Arcus is Swing 2017/2018 EN-B model with RAST system.
I was excited when I heard about that new technology and wanted to fly a glider with RAST, just to see how it feels. Here it is.
I flew the Arcus RS size S at 92 all up. First day, conditions were really good !  With 1500 m gain above take off I could go anywhere, and stay as long as I wanted test flying the Arcus. And that’s what I did. In fact, I flew on the Arcus nice triangles that were previously done on higher rayed wings. Of course the conditions were exceptional, but I must say that I was feeling at first amused underneath the Arcus, because it was nicely and smoothly delivering !  If i knew that before, i would have brought the cheese and wine ;-) 

Take off in 10 km/h wind is really easy…I mean I could inflate the glider without touching the brakes. The Arcus inflates smoothly and it’s very controllable without any surges whatsoever.

Take off is immediate. After some thermal flying I was impressed by the amount of comfort the Arcus delivers ! I mean it’s really comfortable ! No pitch behavior, no useless movements, just the necessary super polite feedback coming from above. The glider feels very homogenous, and compact. 
Now my favorite part (handling) was already fulfilled from the first turn with a large smile on my face  ! The Arcus brake pressure is moderate, Not too short, not too long, with no pressure points. It has a linear response with agile characteristics that enables the pilot to put the Arcus exactly and precisely into the thermal. This authority should be welcomed in higher rated B gliders… I was super happy in the air placing it inside any core. 

Gliding the Arcus feels like on rails through bumps. The glide efficiency is really nice and could be placed easily with the best (mid) B gliders in the category.  I think the climb rate is also very efficient for a low to mid B glider. 

I don’t know if RAST gave this nice homogenous feel, and also that quick brake response and of course that easiness in flight…But there’s surely something new that was felt over here in overall stability.

I tried to make large asymmetric collapses, but the Arcus RS behaved like an A glider…No change in course, no issue in collapsing…Its like there’s no collapse.  Big ears are doable and very stable, efficient with and without bar. They reopen smoothly and evenly by themselves. 

I can put the Arcus in ease of use like the Epsilon 8 for example, and possibly easier…

The speed system has around 10 km/h over trim. Wing overs builds really well, and could be quite impressive !


Conclusion: Flying different gliders every day in the B,C, D category, I was happy test flying the Arcus RS. The overall handling, and the ability to steer the glider with very good precision into the core is really nice. 
The overall comfort under the Arcus is high. In fact, I think, if this glider is flown in strong days, it will deliver a big comfort rate for the pilot. 

PS: Please consider that other sizes and different load could lead to a different feel. Please fly your gliders at +70 % of their weight ranges if possible.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Non hai parlato dei materiali e Delle rifiniture che secondo me in Swing fanno molto bene. Ciao